10 reasons to convert to LED
LEDs have revolutionized the energy market, ushering in considerable efficiencies and savings to homeowners and businesses that use them.
In fact, the United States Department of Energy reports that LEDs are one of today's most energy-efficient and rapidly developing lighting technologies.
LED lighting expert CalSun Electric & Solar Systems has released a report detailing the top 10 reasons for converting to LED lighting.
1. LED lights last longer than fluorescent and incandescent bulbs. An LED light left on for eight hours a day would last close to 20 years.
2. An LED light converts about 80 percent of electric energy to light compared to an incandescent light that only converts 20 percent to light and 80 percent to some other energy form such as heat.
3. LED lighting is more eco-friendly than incandescent or fluorescent. LED lights contain no toxic materials and are 100 percent recyclable.
4. LEDs components can withstand rough conditions because they are resistant to shock, vibrations and external impacts.
5. LED produces little infrared light and close to no ultraviolet (UV) emissions.
6. LEDs can be combined in any configuration. Individual LEDs in a lighting array can be controlled individually, resulting in a dynamic light and color distribution.
7. Operational in extreme temperatures, LEDs are ideal for cold outdoor weather when low temperatures may affect operation of fluorescent lights.
8. LED is designed to focus light and can deliver light to specific locations more efficiently than conventional lighting.
9. LED lights brighten immediately, giving them great advantages for security lighting and lighting in public places such as street lights. Also, LED lights can switched off and on frequently and without affecting lifetime or light emission.
10. A low-voltage power supply is sufficient for LED illumination. This makes it easy to use LED lighting with a solar-energy source and is a big advantage in remote or rural areas.
Topics: Architectural Firms, Automation and Controls, Building Owners and Managers, Construction Firms, Consulting - Green & Sustainable Strategies and Solutions, Energy Saving Products, Engineering Firms, Environmental Firms, Interiors, Lighting - Energy Efficient Lighting, Sustainable Communities, Sustainable Trends and Statistics, Technology, Urban Planning and Design